When students and families walk, bike or carpool to class, everyone wins. Kids learn healthy habits early, plus fewer cars at drop-off and pickup locations alleviate roadway congestion for all travelers. Keep reading to learn how easy it is to adopt a safe and sustainable school commute.
About Bellevue SchoolPool
Bellevue SchoolPool, a collaboration between City of Bellevue, King County Metro and Bellevue School District, is a program that encourages families and students to explore sustainable transportation options for their commute to and from school in order to alleviate congestion at drop-off and pickup times and zones around schools.
How SchoolPool Works
The SchoolPool team assists Partner schools with running two SchoolPool campaigns during the school year – one in the fall, during the Walk & Roll to School Week, and one in the spring, during the Bike & Roll to School Week.
Marketing and promotional materials, stock communications, event assistance and more are available to support Partner schools’ efforts.
The SchoolPool team also assists all schools, including non-partner and private schools, interested in helping parents find carpools, walk pools ("walking school buses"), bike pools ("bike trains"), and bus buddies for school buses or public transit.
How to Become a SchoolPool Partner School
The program is open to all elementary, middle and middle/high choice schools in Bellevue School District, and in Bellevue. To become a SchoolPool Partner school for a given campaign, a school official, or a PTSA member needs to fill out a short participation survey to sign up the school for the campaign.
Fall 2022 SchoolPool Campaign
A whopping 21 schools chose to participate in the Fall 2022 SchoolPool Campaign! Schools will celebrate Walk & Roll to School Day (October 12), and encourage families and students to walk and roll during Walk & Roll to School Week (October 10-13).
Prizes to all students, marketing materials, and $1,000 direct monetary incentives are available to all participating elementary, middle, and middle/high choice schools!
Click on the links below to download the flyer for the Fall 2022 SchoolPool Campaign in different languages. The flyer also includes safety tips for walking, biking, carpooling, and riding the bus.
Annual Districtwide Travel Survey 2022
The Annual Districtwide Travel Survey provides data on how students travel to and from school, and helps evaluate the strategies for the Bellevue SchoolPool program, which aims to reduce drop-off and pick-up congestion at schools.
In 2022, 754 families provided answers for 1,063 students. Based on the survey, 43% of children are driven alone to and from school, and 57% use a different mode of transportation.
School Attendance Area Pedestrian and Bicycle Maps
This is a great time to test out your walk or bike route to school! Go to our Interactive Routes to School Map and click on your school to find printable maps of pedestrian and bicycle facilities in your school’s attendance area.
Email us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov to receive a hard copy of a map.
SchoolPool Blog Posts
To submit a SchoolPool blog post, please email it to BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
Resources for Schools and Families
- If you are a school interested in receiving assistance with setting up a network on Rideshare Online, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- Check out our info sheets on Walking School Bus, Bike Train, and Carpooling.
- If you need help or information about King County Metro Transit or Sound Transit buses for your school, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- Safe Routes to School Programs - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School - Federal Highway Administration - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School National Partnership
- National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Safe Routes to School - WSDOT
- SchoolPool and Safe Routes to School - King County Metro
- Walk and Bike to School
- Safe Routes to School Guide
- Kids Walk-to-School
- Walk to School Day SchoolPool Incentives
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - English
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Spanish
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Chinese
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Russian
- Pedestrian Map Example
- Bike Map Example