When students and families walk, bike or carpool to class, everyone wins. Kids learn healthy habits early, plus fewer cars at dropoff and pickup locations alleviate roadway congestion for all travelers. Keep reading to learn how easy it is to adopt a safe and sustainable school commute.
About Bellevue SchoolPool
Bellevue SchoolPool, a collaboration between City of Bellevue, King County Metro and Bellevue School District, is a program that encourages families and students to explore sustainable transportation options for their commute to and from school in order to alleviate congestion at drop-off and pick-up times and zones around schools.
The SchoolPool team assists Partner schools with running two month-long challenges during the school year - one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall challenge occurs during International Walk To School Month and the spring challenge occurs in May during the Bike Month.
The SchoolPool team also assists all schools, including non-partner and private schools, interested in helping parents find carpools, walk pools ("walking school buses"), bike pools ("bike trains"), and "bus buddies" for school buses or public transit.
Spring 2020 Promotion Recap
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Spring 2020 Challenge was replaced with a SchoolPool promotion. A total of 10 schools participated in the promotion (eight elementary schools, one middle school and one middle/high school).
This promotion was centered on school-parent communications, featuring a series of news flashes to help keep SchoolPool on the radar for when schools reopen. These included:
How to Become a SchoolPool Partner School
The program is open to all elementary, middle and middle/high choice schools in Bellevue School District. For a school to become a SchoolPool Partner school, the principal must submit a SchoolPool Partner sign-up application to BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov. Applications are accepted annually. The SchoolPool team emails sign-up applications to all schools at the end of August.
Resources for Schools and Families
- Go to our interactive Routes to School map and click on your school to find printable maps of pedestrian and bicycle facilities in your school’s attendance area.
- If you are a school interested in receiving assistance with setting up a network on Rideshare Online, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- We also encourage you to try out Pogo Rides, an easy to use smart phone app which matches you with other parents looking to carpool.
- Check out our info sheets on Walking School Bus, Bike Train, and Carpooling.
- If you need help or information about King County Metro Transit or Sound Transit buses for your school, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- Safe Routes to School Programs - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School - Federal Highway Administration - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School National Partnership
- National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Safe Routes to School - WSDOT
- Safe Routes to School – CDC
- SchoolPool and Safe Routes to School - King County Metro
- Walk and Bike to School
- Safe Routes to School Guide
- Kids Walk-to-School