When students and families walk, bike or carpool to class, everyone wins. Kids learn healthy habits early, plus fewer cars at drop-off and pickup locations alleviate roadway congestion for all travelers. Keep reading to learn how easy it is to adopt a safe and sustainable school commute.
About Bellevue SchoolPool
Bellevue SchoolPool, a collaboration between City of Bellevue, King County Metro and Bellevue School District, is a program that encourages families and students to explore sustainable transportation options for their commute to and from school in order to alleviate congestion at drop-off and pickup times and zones around schools.
How SchoolPool Works
The Bellevue SchoolPool program is split into two sections – one for elementary schools, and one for middle and middle/high choice schools.
The SchoolPool team assists Partner schools with running two SchoolPool campaigns during the school year – one in the fall and one in the spring.
Marketing and promotional materials, stock communications, event assistance and more are available to support Partner schools’ efforts.
The SchoolPool team also assists all schools, including non-partner and private schools, interested in helping parents find carpools, walk pools ("walking school buses"), bike pools ("bike trains"), and bus buddies for school buses or public transit.
How to Become a SchoolPool Partner School
The program is open to all elementary, middle and middle/high choice schools in Bellevue School District, and in Bellevue. To become a SchoolPool Partner school for a given campaign, a school official, or a PTSA member needs to fill out a short participation survey to sign up the school for the campaign.
Spring 2022 SchoolPool Campaign
Spring 2022 SchoolPool Campaign runs from Earth Day (April 22) to Bike to School Day (May 4). A whopping 17 schools chose to participate, a very big turnout!
The SchoolPool team will provide promotional materials, such as banners, yard signs, posters, and flyers, to help participating schools promote the campaign.
Students will receive incentives in the form of small branded promotional items. In addition, students will enjoy fun ped-bike activity books. Elementary school students will also receive flyer/scavenger hunt cards.
Participating schools are eligible for up to $1,000 in qualified incentives, such as crossing guard equipment, stop signs, traffic cones and snap-on cone signs, fold-up signs, message boards, etc.
You can download the promotional materials, the activity books, and the flyer/scavenger hunt cards below.
School Attendance Area Pedestrian and Bicycle Maps
This is a great time to test out your walk or bike route to school! Go to our Interactive Routes to School Map and click on your school to find printable maps of pedestrian and bicycle facilities in your school’s attendance area.
Email us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov to receive a hard copy of a map.
Resources for Schools and Families
- If you are a school interested in receiving assistance with setting up a network on Rideshare Online, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- We also encourage you to try out Pogo Rides, an easy-to-use smartphone app that matches you with other parents looking to carpool.
- Check out our info sheets on Walking School Bus, Bike Train, and Carpooling.
- If you need help or information about King County Metro Transit or Sound Transit buses for your school, contact us at BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
SchoolPool Blog Posts
To submit a SchoolPool blog post, please email it to BellevueSchoolPool@bellevuewa.gov.
- Safe Routes to School Programs - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School - Federal Highway Administration - US DOT
- Safe Routes to School National Partnership
- National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Safe Routes to School - WSDOT
- Safe Routes to School – CDC
- SchoolPool and Safe Routes to School - King County Metro
- Walk and Bike to School
- Safe Routes to School Guide
- Kids Walk-to-School
- Walk to School Day SchoolPool Incentives
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - English
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Spanish
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Chinese
- SchoolPool BINGO Cards - Russian
- Pedestrian Map Example
- Bike Map Example