Get ready–Spring is in the air and that means that Bike Everywhere Month is right around the corner! Here are a few exciting opportunities the City of Bellevue is offering to get you out on two wheels during the month of May/
Choose Your Way Bellevue News and Updates
Road construction season has kicked off in earnest, led by the city’s annual repaving effort.
This year, approximately 40 lane miles of roadway are scheduled for resurfacing around the city, which includes work carried over from last year. The historical average is around 20 lane miles per year.
On Monday, the City Council previewed what is anticipated to be a busy season for transportation construction; more than $100 million worth of projects are expected to commence this year in Bellevue.
The City Council is seeking candidates for vacancies on Bellevue’s Arts, Environmental Services, Human Services, Planning and Transportation commissions, as well as the Library and Parks & Community Services boards. You can apply online. Applications are due by 5 p.m., Friday, April 19.
From the City of Bellevue: Neighborhood levy project updates: Pedestrian, bike and traffic safety improvements (4/9/19)
Below are updates to levy-funded projects in various neighborhoods. To learn more about the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion Levy and view an interactive project, go to BellevueWA.gov/transportationlevy. For specific questions about the projects listed below, contact the project manager or project inspector listed on the flyer.
- 158th Place SE (lake Hills Blvd to Main St) Sidewalk Project: Sidewalk installation, water main replacement, crosswalk enhancement and pavement improvements. Construction underway. Anticipated completion by fall 2019. Construction Alert. [Lake Hills Neighborhood]
- SE Eastgate Way (Richards Rd to SE 35th Pl) Bike Safety Project: Bike lane and bike signal installation; bus platform, crosswalk and median installation. Construction underway. Anticipated completion in August 2019. Construction Alert. [Eastgate Neighborhood]
- 156th Avenue NE (Main St to NE 6th St) Pedestrian Improvements: Sidewalk installation and crosswalk and lighting enhancements. Construction anticipated to begin April 2019. Construction Alert [Lake Hills/West Lake Sammamish Neighborhood]
- Eastgate/Tyee Traffic Safety Improvement Project: School zone signing, new sidewalk (west side of 138th Ave SE between Allen Rd and SE 40th St) and new mini-roundabout by Tyee Middle School, designate parking shoulders and “Residential Areas” signs. Construction expected to begin summer 2019. Project Update. [Eastgate Neighborhood]
- 112th Avenue NE -- NE 12th Street to SR 520 and 108th Ave NE from Northup Way: Bike facilities in both directions, two new pedestrian crossings and a new northbound left-turn lane at the intersection of 112th Ave NE and NE 24th Street. Construction underway; expected to be complete summer 2019. Project Flyer. [Northwest Bellevue Neighborhood]
Washington Bikes Bike Everywhere Challenge!
When: May 1-May 31
What: The Bike Everywhere Challenge is a fun and free competition to encourage your friends and colleagues to experience the joys and benefits of riding a bike firsthand. The Challenge is not just about who can ride the most miles, but who can encourage the most people to give bicycling a try. Sign up as a team captain and lead up to ten people (two must be new riders).
Eastside Bike Bash, hosted by Choose Your Way Bellevue and REI
Where: REI, 410 116th Avenue Northeast
When: Wednesday, May 1 4:00-7 p.m.
What: To officially kick off Bike Month, including the Bike Everywhere Challenge, Choose Your Bellevue is hosting the 2019 Eastside Bike Bash at REI-Bellevue with Cascade Bicycle Club and all our friends on May 1 from 4p.m.-7p.m. Learn about exciting bike projects coming to the Eastside, snack on delicious goodies, and meet up with other like-minded people who ride bikes. We’ll have friends and partners from all over the Eastside with fun giveaways and coupons! Email email@example.com to RSVP. All are welcome!
Bike to School Day
When: Wednesday, May 8
What: Join hundreds of riders in the Seattle area and thousands of other riders across the country on Bike to School Day. Bellevue students are encouraged to begin their school day with a safe and active commute May 9th and throughout the month! Visit Cascade Bicycle Club or Walk & Bike to School for more information. And if you are a Bellevue public school family, visit BellevueSchoolPool.org to learn about Bellevue’s “SchoolPool” program and find out whether your school is participating.
Intro to Bicycle Commuting (taught by Cascade Bike Club)
Where: Bellevue City Hall, Room: 1E-112
When: Thursday, May 9 (noon - 1pm)
What: The City of Bellevue and Choose Your Way Bellevue are hosting an "Intro to Commuting” class on Thursday, May 9 at noon at City Hall. The class is lead by a Cascade Bicycle Club instructor and will cover selecting and helmet and bike, planning your route, learning about bike infrastructure, and practicing safe riding techniques. Space is limited, (RSVP HERE) ! First come, first served.
Bike Everywhere Day!
Where: Bellevue Transit Center (Downtown - Sponsored by Sound Transit) & I-90/Enatai Stations hosted by Choose Your Way Bellevue, 520 Trail at Evergreen Point hosted by TransManage & City of Kirkland
When: Friday, May 17, 6-9 a.m.
What: Visit Choose Your Way Bellevue and TransManage at their celebration stations to fuel up on snacks and snag some bike swag! Each station will be attended by local businesses and organizations to answer all your bicycle inquiries. Find more information about all the stations to hit up on your way to work.
8th Annual Redmond Bike Bash
Where: Redmond Central Connector Park (between Leary Way and 161st Avenue Northeast), Redmond
When: Friday, May 17, 4-7 p.m.
What: Music! Food Trucks! Bike shops! Beer garden! Give-a-ways! Bike Skills Clinics!
Lake to Lake Community Bike Ride
Where: Lake Hills Community Park, 1200 164th Ave Southeast, Bellevue
When: Saturday, June 8, 9 a.m.
What: An enjoyable, non-competitive recreational ride for the whole family. The routes take riders to and through Bellevue’s award winning park system exploring hidden treasures of Bellevue. Benefits the City of Bellevue youth camp scholarship fund. Ages 9 and up. Volunteers are needed.
Project on track for 2023 launch of Blue Line, offering fast, reliable rides between Redmond and Northgate
Consistent with the long-term Master Plan for the corridor, WSDOT is moving forward with additional improvements to address increasing traffic congestion and improve transit reliability in Bothell and south Snohomish County.
On March 23, 2019, ST Express bus 550 will shift from the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel to surface streets to accommodate the Washington State Convention Center construction and future Link light rail expansion.