Choose Your Way Bellevue Counts Down to East Link
Last Updated: February 16, 2022
East Link is Sound Transit’s light rail extension opening (potentially delayed until 2025) that will allow riders to travel via light rail 40 miles from Redmond to downtown Seattle, Northgate, Sea-Tac Airport and Angle Lake. East Link will have 6 stations in Bellevue, as detailed in the map below. It will pass through Bel-Red, the Spring District, Wilburton, Downtown and South Bellevue. A trip from Seattle’s International District to Downtown Bellevue will take only 15-20 minutes.
This page will highlight newsworthy information to help you prepare and make the most of East Link for getting around without driving alone!
As information is available, we’ll keep you abreast of activities such as bus service changes associated with the opening, planning for features such as bike parking to help you access the system, and details on timing of the opening as soon as they are known. Bookmark this page to keep up to date on the latest information.
Picture from Sound Transit
East Link Connections
East Link Connections will help transportation system users get to and make the most of East Link Light Rail that will be opening up in 2023! Read on for more information and how you can participate.
From Sound Transit:
- East Link Connections is a coordinated, co-led process for improving transit connections throughout the Eastside as Link light rail service expands through 2024. By the end of 2024, Sound Transit will open 12 new light rail stations connecting downtown Seattle and the Eastside, from Judkins Park in Seattle, across I-90, through Bellevue and to downtown Redmond.
- East Link Connections Goals
- Improve mobility for priority populations, as defined by Metro’s Mobility Framework.
- Equitably inform, engage, and empower current and potential customers
- Deliver integrated service that responds to Link expansion
- Minimize duplication of bus service with Link
- Improve connections to Link
- Be consistent with Metro Connects, and current and future mobility needs
- Be a Part of the Conversation
- Feedback is needed on East Link Connections! Take the survey by March 7 to provide feedback on the upcoming restructure of Metro and Sound Transit Express bus service on the Eastside in preparation for the expansion of Link light rail in 2023.
News and Information
- From Sount Transit: The South Bellevue Station Park and Ride is open and operational and is already being used as a bus stop. Once East Link opens, this will be a hub offering expanded access to light rail.
- From Sound Transit: Light rail in Bellevue is in the final stages of construction. They're adding the finishings touches to the stations and preparing for opening.
- From Sound Transit: Sound Transit has opened the parking garage at the future East Link South Bellevue Station nearly two years before East Link begins operating in 2023, providing easy transit access to Eastside passengers (11/16/21).
- From Sound Transit: Conceptual bus changes are available for public feedback as Eastside Link light rail expands. Surveys and virtual meetings are happening this September, learn more here (9/13/21).
- From Sound Transit: Link Operations and Maintenance Facility: East will maintain and store light rail vehicles for regional Link expansions; site will incorporate mixed-use transit oriented development (5/20/21).
- From Sound Transit: As the South Bellevue Station approaches completion, traffic revisions on Bellevue Way, between I-90 and 112th Avenue SE, are being put in place. The purpose of the changes is to increase traffic safety and efficiency on Bellevue Way before opening the new light rail station and park-and-ride (4/26/21).
- From King County Metro: As the region’s light rail network expands to serve new stations by 2024, King County Metro and Sound Transit are teaming up to ask residents and riders what changes are needed to improve transit service and connections. The East Link Connections transit needs survey is open through April 25, 2021 (4/5/21).
- From Sound Transit: The South Bellevue Park-and-Ride garage is opening this fall, two years before East Link launches. It has been closed since 2017. ST Express route 550 riders and King County Metro riders who had to use alternative parking spaces when East Link construction began in 2017 will be able to return to the new garage at the same park-and-ride location. Learn more from Sound Transit’s news release (1/19/21).
- Check out this March 2021 video from the City of Bellevue's Transportation Department with information on the stages of work leading up to the 2023 opening.