Share the ride with vanpool
Get five or more people together to share a commute schedule – and King County Metro will provide you with a van to use!
How vanpool works
- 5-15 people decide on a schedule and share an agency-provided van
- Fuel, maintenance, insurance and tolls are all covered
- The shared monthly fare for the van depends on:
- Length of commute trip
- Number of people in the van
- Number of van commutes per week
- Many employers cover or partially cover their employees' vanpool fares and may also provide preferential or reduced-rate parking
- If your company has the annual ORCA Passport product, your ORCA card covers 100% of the cost of your van.
- The van is parked at the primary driver's home
- Primary and backup drivers can use the van for personal use trips!
- Up to 40 miles each month for free and even more for an additional fee
- You can request a bike rack be installed on the van to connect you from a bike trip to your vanpool
- VanPool riders are eligible for a reimbursable Guaranteed Ride Home by taxi, so you'll never be stranded in case of suddenly changing plans
How to join a vanpool
- Look for existing vanpools through Choose Your Way Bellevue's free online ridematching service, powered by RideshareOnline.com
- Create an account and provide your commute details to join the network of people seeking carpool or vanpool partners in your area
- How to find a ride match infographic
- Check King County Metro VanPool Riders Wanted lists
- Contact current drivers to see if they have a seat available; ask to test the vanshare out for a day to see if it's a good fit. You can try it for free with the Ticket to Ride.
- Other "riders wanted" lists by county of trip origin:
How to start a new vanpool
- You'll need at least five people, including a primary driver, at least one backup driver and a bookkeeper
- Metro VanPool Starter Kit
- Three steps to forming a Metro VanPool
- Primary driver eligibility requirements
Vanpool fare information
The HTML CheatSheet has its built-in editor where you can preview the document you are working on.